e1

e2
Many books have been written by various authors in Portuguese as well as in English about the history of Goa in general and the history of parishes and villages in particular.

One of such books in Portuguese about Assolna named “ A Aldeia De Assolna” which means “The Village of Assolna” written by Jose Juliao Do Sacramento Almeida retired professor of primary education and printed by Fr. Joao Cristovao Evaristo Almeida graduate in theology in the seminary of Rachol.

On page 56 of this book the author writes – ‘Professor Antonio Francisco De  Souza’ was the son of Jeronimo Pedro De Souza and Felicidade Martins, and married to Maria Margarida Edviges Pulcheria De Souza. He was appointed as Director of the first private English school founded in 1893 and maintained by the society of Benovelance and Instruction of Asolina Velim and Cuncolim which was functioning in an old house of Joaosinho Pereira De Andrade.

Professor De Souza taught in that school till the fourth class of Portuguese for few years and then he opened in 1902 his own school known as “St. Mary’s School” for the parishes of Assolna, Velim, Cuncolim, Carmona and Cavelossim. As a teacher he educated the children from the aforesaid villages till his death somewhere within the years 1905 and 1906. He was a member of a royal aristocratic family of Siolim but residing in Assolna. After his death his son Jose Newton De Souza Alias Jose Victor Aniceto Piedade De Souza succeeded him in teaching in the same school till 1912, and later he proceeded to Africa.

The author further somewhere in page 156 of the book writes that Professor Antonio Francisco De Souza had a grandson born to his son Jose Victor Aniceto Piedade De Souza and daughter in law Lilia Maria Cecilia Antunes on 12th April 1924 in the village of Saligao. It is believed that this De Souza family bears descendence to the Portuguese Royal Family and the link begins from Martim Affonso De Souza the 12th Governor of Goa appointed by Dom Joao III from Portugal to rule Goa for the period from 1542 to 1545 and reached Goa along with the Missionary Francis Xavier on 6th May 1542, the same Martim Affonso De Souza who later was put in charge of constructing the church of Mae De Deus in Siolim.

The author subsequently writes on the following page that the De Souza family being an aristocratic family were big landlords and owned properties and mansions in many parts of Goa Viz. Siolim, Assolna, Saligao etc. and the family had Judges, Advocates, Educators and School Founders in Siolim, Colvale, Saligao, Assolna, Tivim and also in Portuguese Africa.

Towards the concluding pages of the book the author writes Mr. F.N.De Souza as he was popularly known did some of his earliest pieces in his paternal mansions in Assolna and then settled abroad in the late 1940’s. on subsequent visits back to Goa from mid 1950’s to the late 60’s he produced thousands of works on canvas, on board, on paper, govaches and water colours and pencil, few of which included Women and Phoenix in 1950, Nude in Profile in 1952, Indian Women in 1954, Untitled, Head of Man in 1957 and 1960, The Roman in 1966 and Untitled in 1968, as well as several thousands of mono-type works on canvas and cloth.

Click Here to Read in Portuguese